The 29th of January was Tom's birthday so we planned a combined birthday/Super Bowl party for February 1st. The company and the food were outstanding. We had a blast!
Madison couldn't figure out why everyone had to be quiet for the commercials.
Tom made nummy clam chowder first thing in the morning. Pat had stayed overnight so they both got up waaay early. Then I baked a yellow birthday cake with chocolate frosting (Tom's favorite and what his mom used to make for him), followed by the baking of lemon bars, both of which were later served with chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Meanwhile, Tom wrapped all those Lil Smokies with bacon slices and dipped them in brown sugar, very time-consuming. But well worth it!! And followed that up by mixing up a batch of hot chicken wings. Also very nummy. And, we made the layered taco dip with hamburger, sour cream, lots of shredded cheese, tomatoes and olives. This was scooped up in Frito Scoops.
Pat sliced up a mile-high pile of salami, sausage, pepperoni and cheeses. GG brought a huge container of fresh Snickerdoodles and deviled eggs. V & F made the cream cheese platter with baby shrimp and cocktail sauce with Ritz crackers (which lasted only 30 seconds). C & D brought a huge fruit platter and E fixed nummy marinated mushrooms (which lasted only 20 seconds). She also brought Girl Scout cookies. (She is still taking orders.) Al supplied a giant tray of croissant sandwiches with roast beef, turkey and ham. Delicious. But Poor Pat.
Until yesterday, Pat had done really, really well on his diet. And he refused to eat a lot of dishes but, in some cases, the tantalizing treats overcame his willpower but not much. He really tried to be good. So far he has lost close to 100 pounds. Congratulations, Pat!!
Meanwhile the Cardinals almost made an recovery, only to lose the game in the last minute by an outstanding reception by Santonio Holmes. And, I think we decided the Dorito commercials were the best, the one where he crunches the chip and the woman loses her clothes except for the sexy red underwear including garters. Dorito had another good one, too, but I'm now drawing a blank. I also liked the Budweiser horses.
Tom got some good loot for his birthday. The sedoku (sp?) knives he's been wanting, the next Cornwell book, and much more. Thank you one and all. The pleasure of your company was the greatest gift. We do truly enjoy being surrounded by our family and love!
I gave Tom a new Berretta shirt from Orvis and a new WEB Griffin series of books to keep him busy while sitting in the sun in a few weeks. We made the reservation today for Bonita Mesa RV Park in Yuma, February 24th thru April 1st. The Olszewski's are there already, waiting for us, and emailed today to say it was 80 degrees. Awesome!!
Oh, and I should mention that on Friday night we ran into my brother and his wife, R & P, at the Big T C in north M'ville. The 30th was P's birthday. They were there with P's sister Tammy and her husband Glen. Tammy won big!! I did not. We spoke of our brother S in Apache Junction hoping he has better weather and luck than us!
More soon as we try to finalize paperwork and close up shop for a couple months. Lots to do.
Monday, February 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Thanks for the great time! Your good host's! Keep my room warm, I'll be back!
The weather has been beautiful but there is a severe weather alert for the weekend - there may be showers with a possible rainfall total of about 1/2 inch! How cool is it that a half inch of rain can cause a weather alert? I love it down here - so far. I haven't been thru the 100+ degree stretches yet. Was there a game this weekend? I was watching the FBR Open (golf) and playing in the sun.
We did watch the sudden death playoff after the game so I knew it was happening. I tried to remember what FBR stood for and now I've forgotten. And I think the guy that won was named Perry and from Kentucky. Yes, that 1/2 inch severe storm warning is a bummer!! And, for the second day in a row, the mountain was out and we had a beautiful sunny day. 58 degrees, I believe. Awesome!! Mom and I each bought shoestoday; she did the protime thing, and we had lunch at the Sawmill Cafe in Mill Creek. She loves their almond crunch french toast with whipping cream and she licks her plate!!
Pat and Allison: Your room is ready and you're always welcome!! Can't wait to see you!!!
See Pat and Allison's blog for pictures of the birthday/super bowl party......
Post a Comment