Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Thousand Cousins (Mille Cugini)

Tom and I belong to the Sons of Italy, Marysville Lodge #2659, and the lodge's name is "Mille Cugini" which translates from the Italian to "a thousand cousins" in English. Everyone of Italian descent and everyone who is a "wannabe" Italian is welcome to join a local lodge. We trace our heritage back to Italian home towns, discover our heritage, and try to retain Italian customs, dances, songs and "Tradition". The Sons of Italy sponsors the Italian Festa at Seattle Center the last weekend of September. Our Canonica family has a full-fledged celebration of Columbus Day.

Since we joined the Italian Lodge about 12 years ago, we have become pretty involved and we have a lot of fun. Tom's son and daughter-in-law have also joined and are totally involved in our annual Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser in Marysville. This year the dinner is schedule for May 3rd at St. Mary's in Marysville. Unfortunately, the church chose this spring to renovate the kitchen, and it was supposed to be completed in March. Of course, it isn't complete, just barely started, so we will have to change the date or change the venue. We will keep you posted.

Well, what I started to say was that we, as a group, also do some community service which gives us some good feelings. Tom and I are both past presidents of Mille Cugini and are currently serving as State Deputies, Tom to Sno-King Lodge in Shoreline, and me to Bel Porto Lodge in Bellingham. This weekend, Sno-King Lodge provided the free coffee concession at the Northbound Smokey Point rest area on I-5, so Tom and I worked the noon to 6 shift, raked in a couple hundred dollars in donations, and had a wonderful time talking with all the travelers heading to Bellingham, the Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon, Ferndale, and Canada. I had a memorable conversation with Kaiser, an 18 month old boy, who had a wonderful time grinning at me, and I grinned and baby-talked right back. What fun! I also met a couple from Viet Nam, a Grandma and Grandpa who had just landed at SeaTac and were on their first outing in the USA. They headed for the men's restroom together and I tried to explain. Not much luck. The daughter then translated. I learned that "Mama" in Vietnamese is "Ma", not sure of the spelling so when I tried to explain "Mama" and pointed to the women's room, and I further explained "Papa" and pointed to the men's room, I at least was headed in the right direction!

So, about Bel Porto Lodge in Bellingham. If any of you is planning to attend the Sea to Ski celebration that has been a Bellingham tradition of many years on Memorial WeekEnd, be sure to stop by the Sons of Italy meatball sandwich booth on Cornwall. It's on the parade route and their sausage sandwiches are REALLY good with great marinara, fried green peppers and onions. They may even be serving Italian sodas. And tell them Mary sent you!

No comments: